My Fluffy Pillows

 

What I miss about the US (Part 5)

Oops! I did not fulfill this week’s commitment to my blog and missed yesterday’s entry. Anyway, lets just move on and talk about

What I miss about the US (Part 5)

The Friendly Road Drivers~

The topic on the aggressive nature of road users in Singapore is brought into focus every now and then in the newspapers. Talks about foreign residents lamenting about the drivers here being rude and impatient compared to the drivers in their homelands are frequently published, to show Singaporeans how drivers from different countries think about our road behaviour. I cannot help but agree on this.

A Singaporean motorist is more likely to meander amongst lanes and gush through traffic junctions when the lights are amber while the American counterpart simply goes with the flow and stick to its course.

When the signal lights of a vehicle in front lights up, Mr Singapore will:
1. try not to give way
2. definitely NOT give way if the triangle plate is visible
3. ignore it if it’s a motorcyclist
4. drive along side your vehicle if he is a taxi driver

We should really cultivate road courtesy and build our patience when we take the wheel.

I found peace on the roads cruising on the streets in California. Out of 10 signal attempts, I managed to successfully edge out maybe 8 times. The car behind me actually slowed down so that I was able to sneak in front of it. I was so touched!~

When people treat you with patience and respect, the journey seems less stressful and more enjoyable.

Then, maybe our taxi drivers will frown less and “tsk” lesser during our rides with them, stop complaining about lousy female drivers and some stupid guy who stopped his car along the road all of a sudden:)

 

for this post

Leave a Reply